United Way Funded Projects
Currently we invest in 29 nonprofits with one-year grants, plus five Strategic Partnerships, some of which have many partners. As a whole, the projects are building a stronger, more prosperous and equitable four-county area.
Community Investment Grants (one-year grants)
- Education projects help youth to graduate high school and prepare for work or continuing education.
- Financial stability projects support more people to secure meaningful employment and safe, affordable housing.
- Health and well-being projects promote healthy relationships, family health, mental health and oral health to build a safe and supportive community.
Catalyst Fund Grants
Catalyst Fund Grants are one-time investments to strengthen the systems and networks which support the communities in our region.
- Strategic Partnerships fall under our Safety Net which helps families in the four-county area who are struggling by meeting their basic needs and include:
- Community Relief: Emergency food, rent, utility and prescription assistance.
- 211info: Free referral to local resources by phone, web or text.
- Project Access NOW: Free medical care for low-income uninsured patients.
- Labor’s Community Service Agency: Emergency assistance for union families in need.
- Earn It, Keep It, Save It: Free tax-prep and filing help for people with low to moderate incomes.
How We Make Investment Decisions
When making grant awards, we start with research. We:
- Look at data on social disparities in our region.
- Talk with health and human services experts.
- Learn from community members through conversations about the biggest challenges facing our neighbors.
- Using all this information, we determine which priorities and strategies will create the biggest change for our community. We all want successful kids, stable families and connected communities.
To guarantee accountability to our community and donors, all funded partners are vetted through GuideStar and an internal review process. We invest in poverty alleviation strategies by engaging community reviewers in consultation to select grant recipients and by investing in strategic partners and collaboratives to catalyze action.
Thanks to this process and your support, we’re able to leverage the money we invest to make the greatest impact on our community and change lives for the better.