54% of children in Multnomah County are at risk of arriving in kindergarten not prepared to succeed in school.
Together, we can change this.
Early Learning Multnomah (ELM) is one of sixteen state-designated early learning hubs throughout Oregon. Oregon’s early learning hubs are designed to create an aligned and coordinated early childhood system of services and supports for families to ensure that children have what they need to thrive in school and life.
Each hub is working locally to make early learning resources and supports more available, more accessible, and more effective for children and families that have historically been underrepresented in services. Early Learning Multnomah is focused on a priority population of children in Multnomah County from birth to six years of age who are experiencing poverty and all children of color, including immigrants and refugees.
Operating since May 2014, ELM is jointly managed by the United Way of the Columbia-Willamette and Multnomah County. United Way of the Columbia-Willamette serves as the lead agency and overall project manager with fiscal and program accountability to the State of Oregon’s Early Learning Division and the Early Learning Council. Multnomah County provides program development, procurement, contract management and monitoring functions on behalf of services funded through Early Learning Multnomah. ELM staff are housed in both agencies.
Vision & Purpose
- Vision: Every child in Multnomah County is prepared to succeed in school and life, regardless of race, ethnicity, or class.
- Purpose: To eliminate racial and social disparities in kindergarten readiness and create opportunities for success by implementing environmental level changes that align programs, systems and funding in early childhood with a focus on children living in poverty and all children of color.
All hubs throughout the state work towards these goals:
- System Alignment and Coordination - The early childhood system is aligned, coordinated and family-centered
- School Readiness - Children are supported to enter school ready to succeed
- Family Stability - Families are healthy, stable and attached