family baby household portland oregon


As the cost of living in the Portland metro area, and the rest of our region, continues to rise, families in our community are stretched more than ever before. That's why we're helping families meet basic needs. We're partnering with community nonprofits to provide short-term housing and utility assistance as well as tax preparation services for our families who need it most.

Information and referral: 211info

Our region has a range of assistance available, but it can be difficult to know where to go for help. 211info makes it easy for everyone to find the services they need. With a simple call, text message or website visit, those who need help can get connected to free resource referral. Click here to learn more about 211info. 

Short-term rent assistance

Families shouldn’t have to choose between paying for rent, paying for food or paying for heat. A little extra help during a period of illness or unemployment can keep a family from facing homelessness. That’s why United Way invests in short-term rent assistance. Click the links below for more information about our short-term rent assistance partners and how to receive help.

Free tax prep assistance

Families who earn less than $57,500 per year may qualify for free tax preparation through United Way partners. Free tax prep saves moderate- and low-income families the cost of paying for tax preparation and makes sure that working families get the tax credits they deserve. Click here to learn more about how to receive tax prep assistance. 

Food security: Clackamas Service Center

Clackamas Service Center provides services to alleviate the effects of poverty, increase food security and promote self-sufficiency to individuals and families who are most vulnerable in Clackamas County. They provide food relief to community members in Clackamas County through food boxes, lunches and dinners as well as access to clothing and referrals to health care, substance abuse support groups and domestic violence services.  Click here to learn more about Clackamas Service Center.  

Help for union families in need: Labor’s Community Service Agency

Labor’s Community Service Agency provides emergency assistance for union families in need. United Way has partnered with Labor’s Community Service Agency since 1974. Click here to learn more about Labor’s Community Service Agency.

Gas Assistance Program (GAP): NW Natural

For more than 30 years, NW Natural’s Gas Assistance Program (GAP) has helped cover heating costs for people in need. GAP is a low-income energy assistance program that is all about neighbors helping each other. NW Natural encourages their customers and local companies to make donations and the program’s administrative costs are funded by shareholders. GAP has raised more than $5.4 million over the years to help people stay warm during the wintertime. United Way is glad to support GAP by processing GAP donations and distributing to local Community Action Networks. Click here to learn more about the GAP program.

Clean Air Partners Program: Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)

Clean Air Partners (CAPs) is a program to help people whose vehicles do not pass DEQ's On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) test and who can't afford to repair their vehicles' emission systems. DEQ's Vehicle Inspection Program has partnered with Ron Tonkin Family of Dealerships to build a Clean Air Partners Fund with donations from the public. United Way processes donations to the Clean Air Partners Program. Click here to learn more about CAPs.