WE BELIEVE EVERY CHILD CAN BE SUCCESSFUL IN SCHOOL.
Most often it’s priority populations who miss out on vital early learning opportunities.
Our mission is to develop and implement a coordinated, culturally responsive and effective early learning system in Washington County, to ensure young children and their families are stable, healthy and prepared for educational and life success.
Our Strategic Goals:
- Services are aligned, coordinated and effective
- Families are healthy, stable and attached
- Children are ready for kindergarten and reading at grade level by 3rd grade
Early Learning Washington County (ELWC) applies an Equity Lens to its goals and strategies to ensure that early learning services and systems are culturally responsive, with a focus on reducing disparities and disproportionate risks for priority populations of children ages 0 through 6 and their families.
Priority populations include:
- Children from families of color
- Children with disabilities
- Children who are English-language learners
- Children from families with low incomes
- Children experiencing housing instability or homelessness
- Children from migrant farmworker, immigrant or refugee families
- Children from LGBTQ families
- Children who have experienced abuse, trauma or other adverse childhood experiences
So what does our work look like?
- We distribute culturally-responsive literacy kits and STEM materials to thousands of kids each year.
- We help provide quality preschool slots to the kids who need them most
- We’ve piloted programs that deliver library books to childcare centers.
- We help secure culturally-specific reading materials to local libraries
- And so much more!
- Adelante Mujeres
- Banks School District
- Beaverton School District
- El Centro Cultural
- Community Action
- Domestic Violence Resource Center
- FamilyCare Health Plans, Inc.
- Forest Grove School District
- Gaston School District
- Health Share of Oregon
- Hillsboro School District
- Intel, Inc.’s Family Child Care Network
- LifeWorks NW
- Lutheran Community Services
- Morrison Child and Family Services
- Neighborhood Health Center
- Nike, Inc. Child Development Programs
- Northwest Regional Education Service District
- Oregon Child Development Coalition
- Oregon Department of Human Services
- Oregon Food Bank
- Sherwood School District
- Tigard-Tualatin School District
- Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center
- Washington County Cooperative Library Services
- Youth Contact
- Washington County Department of Health and Human Services (Children, Youth and Families, Mental Health and Public Health)